| Mike & Stephanie After Wedding |
On September 8th Mike and I gathered
with our immediate family and two best friends at my parents’ house. A family
friend came over and married us. We were both scared and didn’t know what to
expect. All we knew was we loved each other and wanted to be married for
personal and medical reasons.
September 12, 2014 marks the worst day of my
life. We were at a open house for Ava'as school when I got the phone call. We quickly said our goodbyes and went out to the car... We couldn’t pretend nothing was wrong anymore. All of our worst fears
became real. Mike was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He is only 37… I will never forget it. We were in the parking lot in his truck both hysterical. We couldn't even understand what the doctor was saying through our sobs. This
news came 22 days before the wedding we had been planning for the past 14
months. The type of cancer he has does not
have a cure but has quite the reputation as the silent killer. Usually by the
time someone has been diagnosed, it has already spread and is inoperable. It
took us two weeks to find out… two FUCKING weeks. We expected the worse but
hoped for the best. Once we got home we called all of our family. Mike and I
sat at the top of our stairs inside our home and cried. We cried until our families
slowly started to get there. Our once happy, full of energy, and pre-wedding
decoration filled home felt so dark. That was the longest day of my life…
| Mike, Ava & Stephanie |
On September 17th Mike
went back to the hospital to have a port put in his chest. He would start
chemotherapy immediately. Radiation was not an option because his pancreas is
intertwined with other vital organs that radiation could harm. Surgery was not
an option because it had spread. If you were to remove part of his pancreas it
wouldn’t stop the cancer. Once it spreads you don’t know where the tumor cells
are in the body. The lesions on his stomach are what confirmed the cancer not
the biopsy of the mass. In simpler terms, the mass from his pancreas had cancer
cells that were spreading into his stomach. Wherever they landed they caused the
lesions and more cancer in his stomach.
When his oncologist came to talk
to us after his port procedure we were not overly thrilled with her
explanation. She took us to a small conference room. She was very cold. Her
accent was hard to understand and she wasn’t explaining in terms we could
comprehend. She talked about what his diagnosis was and what his prognosis was.
She told us 11-12 months… Later on we found out that doctors don’t do that.
They don’t give you death sentences unless you have weeks to a month to live.
Mike started to faint… I laid him on the floor while SHE looked at me in panic
as to what to do. I was mad at her. I didn’t like her at all. I just wanted her to go away. I laid there on the floor with
my husband and lost it. After a while we left to head home. I cried the whole ride home. I
was tired of driving back and forth to Brighton in rush hour traffic. It was
exhausting. It took us over an hour each ride but yet I knew it was only the beginning.
| Mike during his first chemo treatment |
Donate to Mike's Fight
Click Here
Each Bravelet that is purchased through this site donates $10 to Mike's Fight.
To purchase a Bravelet Click Here
No comments:
Post a Comment