We've had better days...
Last Wednesday I took Mike to the local hospital at 3:30am. He had horrible pain through the night that became unbearable. I had his oncologist paged and he got back to me right away. He said if he thought we could make it to Boston to bring him in. If not then to bring him to the local hospital. So Holy Family in Haverhill it was. We have been there before and had good experiences. However this time it was a disaster. The doctor that was on looked at me and asked what I thought they should do to treat him. I was so mad. It then took 2 hours for him to receive his first IV medications... even though he was in excruciating pain. The nurse had no idea how to properly access his port. We then found out today that she accessed it wrong and damaged it. The ED doctors then switched shifts and there was even more confusion. Mike had a CT scan hours before and the new crappy doctor came in and said he was being sent for a CT scan. We corrected him and then he came up with a new story about the CT machine not working right and not having the report back yet. In other words he had no idea what he was talking about. We could hear the nurse arguing with the doctor over giving him more pain killers. I finally got so fed up I got on the phone with his oncologist and begged for help. He spoke to the crappy local doctor and after about 8 hours Mike was feeling better and we got the heck out of there. We increased his pain meds and stayed on top of it while we were away to Martha's Vineyard for the weekend.
Mike has been having more pain lately which has defiantly been a concern for us. We were petrified of the scan results...
Today was the day we had been dreading... we had a horrible ride into Boston and we were almost a hour late. The doctor came in and I gave him the cd with the CT scan on it from Wednesdays hospital visit. You would think with all he technology these days it could be sent virtually...but nope! We waited for his return and when he did I could tell on his face it wasn't good news. I instantly felt my heart sink. He told us that the scan showed that his tumor slightly grew... given his recent increased pain and his elevated tumor marker numbers he believes his current treatment is no longer working. It is now time to look into other options. What a punch in the stomach. I felt so sick. His oncologist discussed our two treatment options with us. One is a second line chemotherapy treatment and he second one is a clinical trial at John Hopkins in Baltimore. Both have their pros and cons. We have a lot to think about... Mike did not receive any treatment today. As we left the hospital we drove home with heavy hearts and in silence. My throat hurt from choking back the tears. I had a migraine and felt like I was going to be sick. Even though we were both silent our minds were not... We have until Wednesday to make our decision for now we will weigh out the good and bad...
Donate to Mike's Fight... all donations go directly to Mike & I.
Each Bravelet that is purchased through this site donates $10 to Mike's Fight.
To purchase a Bravelet Click Here
No comments:
Post a Comment