Mike left the hospital on Friday. The doctors wanted him to stay until the bowel obstruction had worked itself out but Mike needed to get out. It was a risk but we needed to get home and get some real rest. We were so exhausted from not getting any sleep in the hospital. Mike continued to drink and eat. He has been very nauseous and his food is not making its way through yet. This could be because of one or two reasons. Either the pain meds are making him constipated or the obstruction has not made it's way through yet.
We've had a really rough past week. Mike's spirits are low and mine are too. Depression has come back around and hit us hard... Mike has spent a lot of time resting. We have not been able to work and are trying to find a solution to our financial struggle. Today we went to Dana Farber for him to start a new treatment. It has been a pretty torturous day to say the least. I woke up with a terrible migraine. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Mike had to drive in while I laid down in the car with an icepack on my head. We thought we had a good start to the day by getting to Dana Farber on time at 12:00pm however it went down hill from there. We waited for his labs to be drawn for over an hour. When he was eventually called in he found out there was no lab draw orders in the system so he was pushed into another waiting room. His doctor needed to be contacted. Timed ticked by while I was outside waiting for him to come out. I knew it was taking longer than usual and naturally I started to panic. After 20 minutes I went to the desk and asked to see him. I was relived to find out he was waiting and not having difficulties. The lab slips were then put in two more times incorrectly. Finally we were able to move on and get his blood drawn. The nurse went to access his port and there was no blood coming out. His port was clogged and had to be treated. That meant another 45 minutes of waiting for the port to clear on its own. Mike's patience was running thin at this point. Little did we know the long waits and hurdles were yet to be over.
We stopped to grab a snack then went to wait and see his doctor... We talked about Mike's overall struggles and discussed a plan of action to get him feeling better. Mike signed a consent form to start the new treatment. By now I was emotionally unstable and was feeling very overwhelmed. When we left the room we ran into our social worker in the hall way where I just seemed to lose it. I started to cry and she said she would be over as soon as we got into an infusion room. I pulled myself together went to book his future appointments and picked up his prescriptions. I so badly just wanted to crawl into a corner and cry but I had to stay strong. We waited for his transfusion and luckily he was able to get a bed today. His port had cleared up and they were able to use it for his infusion... thank god. Finally when it seemed like everything was going against us something worked. Our social worker came to talk with me and I started to feel better. We then waited over 2 hours for him to even start his chemotherapy drugs. The pharmacy had backed up and things were moving slowly. Mike was about ready to rip out his IV and walk out. I begged him to be patient. As if it was that easy... My heart physically aches to see him suffer. It never gets easier only harder. He is so brave and strong regardless of what he says. None of this is easy. The constant waiting makes things that much harder but it just something else we can't control.
Mike has continued to have pain during treatment. He is now resting off and on. Once he finishes we will be on the road to our slow trek home. I can sense this will be a rough night. I'm just doing my best to hold it together until we are home. We have Ava tonight which is good since it is the first time we have seen her since Mike was rushed to the hospital on Tuesday. We both look forward to her little hugs, kisses and snuggles. For now I will be monitoring Mike for any reactions to the new chemo. Fingers crossed he handles it well...
Donate to Mike's Fight... all donations go directly to Mike & I.
Click Here
Each Bravelet that is purchased through this site donates $10 to Mike's Fight.
To purchase a Bravelet Click Here




No comments:
Post a Comment