Monday, March 7, 2016

Germs & Treatment

It's been a while since I posted last so I figured I would give an update. This past Thursday Mike had his 43rd treatment. We were so happy to see our favorite nurse Erin. It had been a few months since we saw her last. We have gotten attached to two nurses now. One had left a few months ago to further her career and Erin's day off had changed to our usual Thursday's so we had been bummed! Having a connection with a great nurse truly makes all the difference in the world. We love you and everything you have and continue to do for us Elena and Erin! 

It's hard to believe he has been fighting for 18 long months. I couldn't be any more prouder of him. It's been a hard journey that no one else can truly understand but us. Hand in hand we cross each hurdle as they are thrown at us. Recently he came down with another new symptom. He had been complaining of a sore throat for a few days. We didn't think too much about it. After a few more days it was becoming harder and harder for him to swallow. He was getting an excessive amount of saliva which was continually gagging him to the point of dry heaving. We were sitting in the car and all the sudden it clicked I asked him to show me his tounge and gums and I could see the white patches all over them. I instantly knew it was thrush. Thrush is a fungal infection that is most common in infants but also common in people with weakened immune systems (such as people with cancer). We had heard about it before. I wish I had thought of it sooner so he didn't have to suffer as long. This was by far his worst symptom he said he has encountered. He said he would prefer the cancer pain in his stomach over the pain from thrush. Watching him so miserable was hard. He couldn't even talk or eat. He quickly dropped a few pounds and was stomach sick from only eating popsicles and juice for days. His oncologist prescribed him a mouth wash to take care of the infection and after a few days he was feeling much better. Unfortunately today it seems like his thrush started to come back again. He already started taking his meds again. 

Thursday when we were at his treatment I wasn't feeling so well. I woke up really achy and miserable. As the day went on I felt worse. By the time we got home from treatment I couldn't wait to crawl on to the couch. Throughout the night I had a fever that spiked to 103. I had emailed my doctor to let her know that I wasn't feeling well. She is well aware of Mike's health and wanted me to come in. My mom brought me Friday morning and she gave me medicine. I also spent the night in our spare bedroom to contain the germs from Mike so he could be protected. Since he had treatment that day his blood counts would be dropping over the next few days which always puts him at high risk for infections. 5 days later I'm still miserable. I have been wearing masks and disinfecting the house continuously. I haven't been this sick in a long time. It sucks because I couldn't take care of Mike after his treatment and he can't take care of me because of his immune system. This has been hard for me. When your sick all you want to do is to snuggle up with your loved ones and have them take care of you. I couldn't do this and it hurts my heart. Protecting him is my top priority so I do what I have to do. Thankfully we had Ava this weekend and she took great care of Mike and I. She kept asking me if I needed anything and brought me water often to stay hydrated! I would ask if she was getting up soon and if she could grab me my medicine and she would say you don't have to ask if I'm getting up I want you to tell me what you need and I'll do it right away. It was like a reversed mother daughter role and boy did she tell me! She was my hands in helping me make dinner so I didn't contaminate any of the food. She is such a sweetheart. I kept saying I was sorry I was sick and she reassured me it was okay because I'm always the one taking care of her and daddy. She said it was her turn. We're usually always caught up in some type of activities when she's with us but I wasn't up for anything. She just laid in bed and on the couch with me and chit chatted. I'm so blessed to have her as my daughter. 

The moms also came over and helped clean the house, do chores and make dinner for us which was a huge help. Thanks moms! You're the best!

Saturday we had our families over for Sadie's (our family dog) first birthday. I know it sounds ridiculous but it was a great way to get all the family together. We all had a great time despite Mike and I not feeling so well. It's always nice to create family memories when we can. 


That's about all for now. We're just all trying to recover and feel better! 


To donate to Mike's Fight Click Here All donations go directly to us. 







No comments:

Post a Comment